zxcvbob

Default How are Bacon Bits made?

wrote:
> How are Bacon Bits made? What are the main ingredients? Do they actually
> contain meat? Can people make them at home?
>
> Thanks for all info.

I'm making some right now. I bought a 3 pound box of bacon ends 'n' pieces
last month. The bacon is a *lot* more irregular than these boxes usually
are, so it doesn't fry in slices very well.

So I'm chopping the raw bacon with a sharp knife, then frying it in
batches. I am not pouring off the grease because it makes it easier to cook
the next batch. When it's done, I spoon it out onto paper towels to drain.
When cool, it's not crumbly enough, so I'll put it on the food dehydrator
for a few hours (with a drip tray underneath to catch the fat.)

This is the first time I've tried this, so it's not a proven procedure yet.

-Bob