Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz[_1_] cwdjrxyz[_1_] is offline

Default Swanson Dinner

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> "Bill S." > skrev i meddelandet
> oups.com...
> > Is there anyone here that can't say they did that when younger? ;-)

> Says what? Please to explain to the foreign gentleman ...
> Only I guess I get it ...

Swanson started selling frozen TV dinners way back when TVs were just
becoming common in nearly every home in the US. You just heated the
dinner in the tray it came in and ate the meal from the tray while you
watched TV. The cook of the house did not have to cook or wash many
dishes, so she(usually back then) could watch TV also. I am not
certain, but the first Swanson TV dinner may have included turkey or
chicken, mashed potatoes, and a vegetable. These dinners became very
popular, and many other menus and brands resulted. Yes, some people did
drink wine with them. It likely would be California wine sold in a
large jug or a cheap Chianti back then.

Before WWII even people with a fairly moderate income could afford
household help. But many women took jobs during WWII that paid much
more than household help, and then continued to do so after the war.
Thus finding a good household helper became difficult and expensive in
many areas. Many women did not want to be bothered with cooking,
especially when they had an outside job, so TV dinners and restaurant
take out food became quite popular with some.

Swanson is still in business. Beside frozen dinners, they now produce a
line of higher quality frozen foods. They will now deliver frozen
entrees, desserts, etc to homes in parts of the US from their
refrigerated trucks. I do not know if Bill is "blessed" with Swanson
home delivery in Canada.