Posted to rec.food.baking
[email protected] j-lattie@neiu.edu is offline

Default Baking cakes in foil pans

Bob (this one) wrote:
> wrote:
> > ms. tonya wrote:
> >
> >>A person asked in another NG about baking butter cakes in foil pans to
> >>take to her husband's office party so she wouldn't have to drag her good
> >>pryex pans home.
> >>
> >>I have never bake anything in these and am wondering how good they do
> >>baking and be concern with burning because of the lightness of the pans.
> >>
> >>Thank You

> > Actually the foil reflects much of the heat away from the pan so cakes
> > actually come out with a lighter crust.

> Sorry. Foil reflects light, not heat. It's aluminum, same as pots and
> pans. They aren't ever described as reflecting heat. Because they don't.
>
> Nice shiny copper skillets don't reflect heat. Polished stainless,
> sandwiched, bake sheets don't reflect heat. They can reflect a small
> percentage of visible, radiant heat like from a glowing-element heater
> situated in front of a highly polished reflective curved surface. But
> that's not what's at work in an oven.

LOL!! I once had a roommate who would get so insistent that, when
using aluminum foil over a casserole, I should always put the shiny
side down, or otherwise the heat would be reflected away. I said, "I'm
not cooking from the lightbulb in the oven."

Of course, this was the same person who would never set the timer on
the microwave. - just hit "9999" and then stand there watching the
wall clock.

Then, I suppose that water should always be boiled slowly, not fast,
so it doesn't get that burnt taste.