Old 26-02-2006, 08:24 PM posted to rec.food.baking
[email protected] j-lattie@neiu.edu is offline

Default Baking cakes in foil pans

Bob (this one) wrote:
wrote:
ms. tonya wrote:

A person asked in another NG about baking butter cakes in foil pans to
take to her husband's office party so she wouldn't have to drag her good
pryex pans home.

I have never bake anything in these and am wondering how good they do
baking and be concern with burning because of the lightness of the pans.

Thank You

Actually the foil reflects much of the heat away from the pan so cakes
actually come out with a lighter crust.

Sorry. Foil reflects light, not heat. It's aluminum, same as pots and
pans. They aren't ever described as reflecting heat. Because they don't.

Nice shiny copper skillets don't reflect heat. Polished stainless,
sandwiched, bake sheets don't reflect heat. They can reflect a small
percentage of visible, radiant heat like from a glowing-element heater
situated in front of a highly polished reflective curved surface. But
that's not what's at work in an oven.

LOL!! I once had a roommate who would get so insistent that, when
using aluminum foil over a casserole, I should always put the shiny
side down, or otherwise the heat would be reflected away. I said, "I'm
not cooking from the lightbulb in the oven."

Of course, this was the same person who would never set the timer on
the microwave. - just hit "9999" and then stand there watching the
wall clock.

Then, I suppose that water should always be boiled slowly, not fast,
so it doesn't get that burnt taste.