Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gabby Gabby is offline

Default Do YOU eat at your dining room table every day?

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
> actually have a dining room table
>
> We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
> Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
> Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...

Not every day. We do try to eat there as a family (down to 3 from 5) at
least 2 or 3 times a week. Since son works at 6 p.m. several times a week
and hubby has 2 Scout/Cub meetings each week, we try to eat there on the
nights we are all off. Otherwise hubby and I usually eat in front of the
TV.

Dining room table is a cheap teak veneer Scandinavian model we bought at
Sears back in 1976. It has survived 8 moves and 3 periods (7 years total)
in storage while we were on isolated postings. I love it because it has
leaves at both ends, leaves that slide under the solid top. It easily seats
6 without the leaves and 10 with.

I inherited my MIL's dining room set and use the buffet/hutch & chairs with
my own table (who cares if it matches). I had to be too careful with her
drop leaf table (the finish clouds if you breathe on it) so I use it -- with
the leaves down -- as a sofa table.

Gabby