Posted to rec.food.baking
Jenn Ridley Jenn Ridley is offline

Default Gingerbread using black pepper?

Dave Bell > wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Jenn Ridley wrote:
>
>> Have you ever had (proper) pepparkakor or pfefferneusse? Both of
>> those have pepper in them. I have a very good recipe for chocolate
>> cookies that can be made with either cayenne or black pepper.

>The spicy chocolate cookies sound wonderful! Could you share the recipe?

It's off a can of Ghiradelli ground chocolate

Chocolate Pepper Snaps
1 cup Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Chocolate
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup butter or margarine (softened)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup sugar (or less if desired)
1 large egg

Sift together the Ghirardelli Ground Chocolate, flour, salt, and
baking powder. Cream butter with vanilla and spices; add sugar and
egg. Beat until light and fluffy. Slowly add sifted ingredients to
creamed mixture. Shape into 1-inch balls and flatten each one with a
fork or press an almond, pecan, or chocolate chip into the top. If
desired, you may even use a cookie press. Bake on ungreased baking
sheet at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Makes 3 dozen cookies.

(Ghiradelli ground chocolate is half cocoa, half sugar, so you can
substitute 1/2C cocoa and 1/2 c white sugar if you can't find the
ground chocolate. Put the cocoa in with the flour and the sugar in
with the other sugar.

I find that 375F is a bit hot in my oven, and bake them at 350F.

You can use cayenne pepper rather than black pepper if you want a
little more kick.)

I have friends who request these in their cookie boxes.... These go
really well with gingersnaps.
--
Jenn Ridley :