Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] is offline

Default Protein grams and portion control??? Pastorio?

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Dee Randall" > wrote:
> >
> >> At my doctor's last visit, regarding two different tests in the same
> >> day -
> >> he had his nurse call me and tell me to take calcium (Dexascan -
> >> osteopenia)
> >> and on the other test results, he had her call me and tell me to stop
> >> calcium altogether. When I questioned this with some other nurse who
> >> called
> >> to see what the trouble was with my thinking, I never got a return call
> >> when
> >> she said she would look into it. There have been other things along
> >> these
> >> lines, too. Time to look for ANOTHER doctor.
> >> I say, Bullshit, too.
> >> Dee Dee
> >>

> > <lol> Sounds like someone too busy to correlate results...
> >
> > Why did they want you to stop taking Calcium?
> >
> > And for the record, Calcium by itself is not really utilized properly
> > anyway.
> >
> > Short story he
> >
> > When I first started weight lifting and eating a high protein diet
> > wayyyyy back when when I was about 30, I started developing leg cramps.
> >
> > Not just ANY leg cramps, but Quadricep cramping that would wake me up at
> > 2 am and have me nearly passing out with the pain. :-( I have a very
> > high pain tolerance but this was about a 12 on a scale of 1 to 10!
> >
> > Turns out that eating more protein tends to cause the kidneys to dump
> > more calcium, so you need a higher supplementation rate. One good reason
> > to eat yogurt and cottage cheese. <G>
> >
> > Anyhoo, I tried 4 different types of calcium supplements over time with
> > varying results, but none of them were adequate for stopping those early
> > morning episodes of sheer hell. :-(
> >
> > I spoke with one of or ER docs about it, (one that I knew had a side
> > practice of "complementary medicine" where he used nutritional and
> > herbal therapies in combination with standard medical practices).
> >
> > He told me that the problem was that I was taking CALCIUM, by itself!!!
> > He said that calcium works together in balance with Magnesium and
> > Phosphorous to keep blood levels stable.
> >

> Thanks for the information. Yes, I know about the balance. DH gets legs
> cramps awful and he pops about 5 sublingual magnesium pills under his tongue
> when this happens (he does take calcium & phosphorous supplements.)
>
> I am not a big believer in calcium supplements. I do believe in eating
> cheese and yogurt and not necessarily milk. I've read the stastics on the
> Bantu who do not drink milk and don't get osteoporosis. When I stopped
> supplementing and stopped drinking milk, but eating cheese, I acutally
> gained 6% bone. (I do take a regimen of vitamins, but basically they are at
> the rates that are mostly recommended and I don't overdo any of them.)
>
> However, my blood test results have always showed a couple of .points (as
> [...]

Understood. :-)

The brand I take is "Now", sort of a generic vitamin. Their "full
spectrum minerals". They are quite affordable and it's 2 pills per day
with food.

Cheese is going to be higher in Calcium as it's sorta condensed and
concentrated.

I'm glad things are working for ya!
--
Peace, Om.