Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
[email protected] calculon@online.ie is offline

Default Starbucks "African Red Bush" tea? Is it Rooibos?

Yes, and more importantly... back to the point...

I'm not here to discuss the merits of Starbucks versus classier,
independent caffeine houses. I'm just really curious: is this African
Red Bush really Rooibos?

I guess the only way to find out is to get them to show me the box, or
failing that, to ask them not to put the teabag into the water next
time I'm there. I can then take it to my table and rip it open, pour a
sample into a ziploc bag, and then drink a tall cup of
not-quite-boiling water. I suppose at home I can lay it out on a paper
towel and compare it to a sample of real Rooibos.

>From what I saw, the leaves did look identical (through the bag) to

Rooibos. But that taste was absurd.

P.S. I've had Caramel Rooibos and Earl Grey Rooibos before, and
although I found them repulsive and undrinkable, they both tasted quite
a lot like Rooibos with flavouring on top. I just don't know if lemon
plays nice that way, or if it totally obliterates the underlying taste.

Lemon tea drinkers should be able to chime in and tell me. Then again,
there probably aren't many lemon tea drinkers on this NG. In fact, I'd
be surprised if there was one, in the whole wide world. It would be
like Sangria drinkers hanging out on a wine NG.