Julia Altshuler

Default Salad ideas

LP wrote:
> As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a salad
> (don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When I
> have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
> ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.

I don't know what sort of diet or regimen or change of eating habit
you're shooting for so this information about lettuce might be
appropriate or might not. Lettuce isn't necessarily good for you. That
doesn't mean it is bad. Lettuce is nutritionally neutral. It has
crunch, a few vitamins, little else, not even much fiber. Iceberg
lettuce especially is practically like eating water. If you're trying
to get fewer calories but are in the habit of munching on something,
salad is great because your jaws get to work, but your body doesn't fill
up. If you don't like lettuce, go ahead and eat nothing instead.
There's no harm in that.

That said, here are salad ideas that don't concern lettuce.

> Almost any vegetable salad in a vinegar based dressing will do. The dressing is:
>
> vinegar (cider, wine, Balsamic, malt, your choice
> oil (olive, peanut, corn, soy, really anything)
> mustard (must be Gulden's gold, nothing bright yellow in color.
>
> Those are the essential ingredients. Optional ingredients a
>
> soy sauce (also called tamari or shoyu)
> green herbs (tarragon, thyme, rosemary are nice)
> freshly grated ginger (I love that one-- surprising in salad)
> garlic (careful with this one at a wedding reception)
> something sweet (honey, sugar, maple syrup-- only a little here as it changes the character of the dressing)
> sesame seeds
> toasted sesame oil
>

> Keep the dressing separate until the last minute since vinegar discolors green vegetables. You'll also want a starch. Choose from:
>
> pasta
> quinoa
> buckwheat noodles
> rice
> wild rice.
>

> Then go to town with the vegetables. Slice in a variety of attractive ways. Grate one, mince another. Leave some in biggish chunks and others in sizes and shapes in between. Think in categories. Something in the onion family:
>
> onion
> scallions,
> leeks.
>
> Something green:
>
> blanched broccoli
> collards (surprise, but it's good)
> cabbage
> green beans
> snow peas
>
> Everyone loves carrots.
> Fennel is something people don't think of but is very nice.
> Zucchini is good.
>
> Go through the produce section of the supermarket and pick up whatever appeals. Shoot for half starch and half vegetables by volume or err on the side of extra vegetables.

You also need a fresh herb:

parsley
cilantro
dill.