Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default Choux Cream and Chickin Wings (was Where to buy MSG)

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:52:34 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> > wrote:
>

>>My suggestion is to forget "fixing" the recipe and follow it exactly one
>>time. Your addition of *more* water was exactly 180° out of synch with
>>what needed to be done.

> Fromt he recipe, it didn't sound like it was supposed to be that
> dense ("stirring until smooth"). There was no way this would have
> gotten smooth.

Think of it as a kind of culinary poetic license...

It should be dense and it will get smooth. If you have arms like the
Governator.

> But in it's defense, it wasn't floury tasting at
> all. (The filling was a different story - recipe from same site.
> Once it cooled it tasted better though).

You need a good creme patissiere for it. And it needs to be fully cooked
or it tastes like you just licked a blackboard. Fine granularity and an
uncooked flour finish.

> Thanks. I'll try cooking it down for the required 4 minutes next
> time. And thanks for the second opinion and confirmation, Kate.
> The next batch will be frosted, as well. And some filled with ice
> cream - French vanilla (cut horizontally lengthwise and filled
> sandwich style).

And a trickle of chocolate sauce over.

Ahhhhhhhh...

Pastorio