Posted to rec.food.cooking
Florida Florida is offline

Default Any good bakery shop?

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Florida" > wrote:
>
> > The *best* bread is available in some of the major cities,
> > especially New York City and San Francisco, which have authentic
> > bakeries which produce relatively small amounts of delicious fresh
> > bread every day. They use Italian recipes, and often the best bakers
> > are of Italian descent, or were taught how to make bread by Italian
> > bakers. (There are other bakeries there which produce breads from
> > French recipes in the same manner.)

> Although I love French and Italian breads, I don't think they are the
> best bread there is.

Ky is a nice man who doesn't know from bread. He politely asked
what the *best* bread is. So I told him. I'm starting him off gently
with bread which reliably delicious and widely available but quite
plain because plain white bread will be similar in digestibility to
plain whe rice. Let him work up to 12-grain bread with cinnamon,
walnuts and raisins, pumpkin bread, whole wheat made from freshly
ground flour... now I'm salivating...

> Just like anything else, bread should be suited to
> the meal or occasion. Although crusty French loaves are wonderful, they
> aren't as appropriate to a Thanksgiving meal, say, as some whole wheat
> pumpkin rolls, or those soft dinner rolls that were discussed here a
> month or two ago. Also, most areas have access to great bakeries, if
> not in town then within driving distance, that aren't in NY or SF.

Ky is going to come in to some major airport if he visits the U.S.
In my pleasant daydream about his trip, his very first stop after
getting his baggage will be at the first good Italian bakery he comes
to...

p.s. Looking for a great bakery in most of rural NC would be a sad
waste of time... That's why I'm the designated bread baker in the
family. ;^)