Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment
sf[_1_] sf[_1_] is offline

Default Wall oven recommendations

On 19 Feb 2006 04:35:00 +0100, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sat 18 Feb 2006 08:25:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?
>
> > Thanks for that... I agree that replacing the bulb should happen
> > infrequently enough that it probably wouldn't be a consideration for
> > me. BUT, I have seen some ovens with a similar light placement, and it
> > makes no sense from a lighting point of view. You end up looking at a
> > darkened shape of roast as these blinding lights blare at you from the
> > back of the oven. Definitely not user-friendly!
> >
> > -dan

> Yes, Dan, but from the description, this bulb is located on the _top_ of the
> oven at the back, not on the back wall itself.

Have you EVER tried to replace one of them? I finally called the oven
repair guy and spent $60 changing the danged bulb because I/we
couldn't get the flange in correctly afterward. This was after years
taking the bulb out to clean the oven after the scare stories I got
here about the metal of the bulb melting during the clean cycle, so I
thought it was worth it. I haven't had many ovens in my lifetime and
all of them worked well, so I think I can pick at the details. I
still think that light placement was gawdawful because I live with it
and I highly recommend that everyone look at where the oven light is
placed. If it's on the oven roof at the back, don't buy that oven
unless you plan to move soon.

> The light should be shining
> down, not out. I have one of those lights on the back wall, and I agree that
> it can be a blinding light that obscures many things on the racks.

I'll take mine on the back wall. At least I can change it easily.