Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
rick rick is offline

Default Can we do better?

"Dave" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> rick wrote:
>> "Dave" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > The method of production is not the same and environmental
>> > impact is not the same.
>> > "The differences between the production of bananas in small,
>> > shaded farms as compared to conventional chemical-intensive
>> > monocultural production is readily apparent when, having
>> > walked
>> > through a conventional plantation, one walks through a finca
>> > (farm) of one of the coop-member growers."
>> > http://www.rainforestrelief.org/Camp...n_Organic.html
>> > ===============================

>> Yes, that's nice, but my statement is still true. "You"
>> cannot
>> eat them. From the same website... Maybe you should read
>> what I
>> say, and what you post as reply, eh?
>> "...Currently, no fresh banana available in the US is grown in
>> way that is not detrimental to the rainforests..."

> That is almost certainly true but some are worse than others -
> they
> aren't
> all the same as you claimed. There are non-profit organisations
> that
> accredit bananas as for example organic or fairtrade. There is
> also
> a "better banana" logo licensed by the Rainforest Alliance
> which are
> claimed to ensure better rainforest conservation, wildlife
> protection,
> soil conservation, waste management, and worker benefits.
> 90% of the bananas Chiquita sells in Europe and two thirds of
> the bananas they sell in the US meet these standards.
> http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et1200/et1200s10.html

you need to coordinate your 2 web sites. The first one you
posted says this:
"...The following companies are selling bananas grown using
methods that are destructive to rainforests and people.
Dole
Chiquita
Del Monte ..." 2003
http://www.rainforestrelief.org/What..._to_Avoid.html

the last one you posted was 2000.
You think one is really looking out for rainforests, and the
other is looking out for marketers?

Either way, there is no way that bananas can compete with
grass-fed beef and game in regards to environmental concerns and
animal deaths.