Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

Default REQ: Sugar-Free Pineapple Cheesecake

On Thu 16 Feb 2006 11:20:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob (this
one)?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I once had a recipe for a sugar-free low-fat pineapple cheesecake
>> recipe, but have lost it. It was made with cottage cheese, crushed
>> pineapple, unflavored gelatin, and artificial sweetener. The topping
>> was sliced strawberries, sliced kiwi fruit, and sliced banana, glazed
>> with thickened apple juice concentrate. It was, obviously, a no-bake
>> cheesecake. A "dusting" of crumbs was used as a crust.
>>
>> Anyone have such a recipe, or similar?

> This surely isn't "sugar-free" in any sense of the idea. Pineapple,
> strawberries, kiwi and bananas contain sugars. Concentrated apple juice
> merely concentrates the sugars, and the thickener (unless a food gum)
> adds more carbs. Crumbs add to the carb load, though not to sugars
> unless they've cookie or cake crumbs.
>
> So while no white or brown sugars are added to the recipe, there are
> certainly sugars in it.

Yes, I know that. I should have referred to it as "no sugar added". The
only thickener is unflavored gelatin. IIRC, the crumb mixture was made
from dry bread crumbs, cinnamon, and a small amount of artificial
sweetener. The pan was very lightly coated with diet margarine, then
dusted with the crumb mixture.

I am quite aware that the fruits and juice concentrate contain sugar. The
recipe is for a weight loss program, not a diabetic diet. It was once
published by Weight Watchers, and sugars contained in fruit are permitted.

So, do you have a recipe, or not? I wasn't asking for a critique.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo

BIOYA