Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] is offline

Default Protein grams and portion control??? Pastorio?

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Om,
>
> Weigh meat after cooking for your protein/calorie count, since the method
> of cooking effects the resulting calorie count and nutritional data.
>
> Here are two good places to start. You'll catch on, just take your time,
> it can be confusing at first.
>
> http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
>
> and similar (draws from the same database with different gui/info):
>
> http://www.nutritiondata.com/
>
> All the best,
>
> Andy

Thanks Andy!

Got those bookmarked for reference and am reading them. :-)

Right now for the meat, I am mostly using the Hamilton grill.
It's identical to the Foreman grill so drains most of the oils/fats off.
Drumsticks are leaner than thighs, but winglets are mostly bone so those
will be the most difficult!

I just really am not overly fond of boneless skinless breast meat. Too
dry! I did buy some boneless skinless thighs and thawed them, then used
the poultry shears to remove as much of the large fat pads as I could
before grilling them.

They are quite good!

Also put up some 6 oz. portions of trimmed beef bottom round.....

raw. ;-d

I get so damned hungry trying to do this. Thank gods for celery!
It's filling and satisfying. So is fresh frozen cooked spinach.

I'll have to check shrimp prices next week, and I have plenty of whiting
in the freezer. Catfish is going to be out for now :-( My favorite fish
but too high in fat. You should see the amount of oil that cooks out of
those fillets when I grill them in the Hamilton!
--
Peace, Om.