Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
[email protected] rupertmccallum@yahoo.com is offline

Default Can we do better?

Dutch wrote:
> > wrote
> >
> > Dutch wrote:

> [..]

> >> You already did. Sentience is mistakenly used to mean the ability to use
> >> complex reasoning, as mammals do, when it actually just means the ability
> >> feel, in other words to have the sense of touch.

> > I didn't mistakenly use "sentience" in this way. I didn't see anyone
> > else who did, either.

> Then your point is absurd. You haven't defined sentience rigorously and
> can't determine which animals are and which aren't. The only way this
> "egalitarian" ideal could even begin to work is if you begin by defining
> most animal species as non-sentient, and you can't do that.

I defined sentience as the capacity to have feelings. I gave a
reference to a philosophical work which examines some of the scientific
literature and concludes there is probably good reason to think insects
are not sentient.

> >> Any animal that has sensory
> >> touch receptors can feel, therefore could feel pain. There is no
> >> evolutionary reason that insects would evolve without the defense
> >> mechanism
> >> of the ability to feel pain.
> >>

> > As I say, if you want to comment on DeGrazia's discussion of the issue
> > then go ahead.

> That's not my job. If you want to introduce some of his ideas into this
> debate then be my guest.

It's up to you whether you want to comment on them or not. If you
choose not to, you have no basis for criticizing my stance.

> >> You lost confidence in your assertion about ant sentience so you tried a
> >> flyer with mosquitos.

> > No, I still have confidence in it.

> You shouldn't have confidence in it.

You have no basis for saying this, because you've refused to go and
examine the support for it which I cited.

> >> The fact is we don't know, except that we cause a lot
> >> of death and suffering to animals, that's just how real life is.

> > True. And I believe we should take steps to minimize it.

> More specifically, you think everyone should follow the vegan ritual of
> abstaining from animal products.

I believe everyone should make every reasonable effort not to provide
financial support for institutions or practices that cause or support
unnecessary harm. I believe this would require boycotting most animal
products that are produced in our society. There may be a few
exceptions.