Posted to rec.food.baking
Rich Hollenbeck Rich Hollenbeck is offline

Default Fat and Sugar Content: Breads vs. Cookies

"chembake" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> There is no point in comparing the ingredient performance in some
> different products due to the fact that the usage rate is also
> different.
>
> Bread dough structure is different from cookie dough
>
> In the bread dough the flour is optimally hydrated but not in cookie
> dough
>
> In the bread dough the sugar comes into solution but not in the cookie
> dough where its a large part of it is still intact admixed with
> unhydrated flour.
>
> What makes the cookie crispier is the presence of undissolved sugars
> admixed with un hydrated flour which is loosely bound by the minimal
> gluten formed from incomplete flour hydration.
> Due to The lesser amount of moisture in cookies makes it dry faster
> during the baking process promoting crispier texture

Excellent explanation! My baking instructor couldn't give any kind of
answer other than, "It's the formula." Your answer was scientific, and
that's the kind of education I want to get, but I don't think I'm going to
get it at school. I'll have to get some of the more advanced books that are
available.

Thank you very much. ?

Rich Hollenbeck