Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
pearl[_1_] pearl[_1_] is offline

Default Can we do better?

"Dave" > wrote in message oups.com...

pearl wrote:
<..>
> The usual list of the few species "which MCS believes
> are fished within sustainable levels". (Doesn't the 'believes'
> here worry you a bit, Dave?).

Only a little bit. It's not like any other species of predator
actively moniters the effect they are having on their prey.

-- Humans are NOT a predatory species. --

> And what exactly does
> 'sustainable' mean? Hopefully not reducing the populations
> any further? But recovery to the former healthy abundance?

I take sustainable to mean that there is no continuing decline
in population levels.

-- Not recovery then. --

> Never mind, eh. To an addict nothing else really matters.
> You'll find one false justification after another to continue.

I'm not addicted to fish and you have no evidence to the contrary.

-- You know I do. Think 'fat'. --

<..>
> It all adds up. And if everyone started eating such fish
> those populations would also be depleted in no time.

If everyone started eating such fish than the demand would
grow and new handline fisheries would emerge to exploit different
stocks.

-- 'And the fact is, a large number of small-boats concentrated
into an ecosystem can do as much damage to fish stocks and
marine ecology as a fleet of larger vessels. Too many boats
chasing too few fish always adds up to a race to ecological
disaster and economic ruin.' --

The more fish we eat the less land habitat we need
to destroy to cultivate plants.

-- We can use some sea vegetables. Certain algae provide
EPA and DHA,- the long chain fatty acids found in fish.

When humans to break their meat habit, arable land
currently used for feed crops will more than make
up for any calories, etc. from animals, including fish. --