Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
pearl[_1_] pearl[_1_] is offline

Default Can we do better?

"Dave" > wrote in message oups.com...

> pearl wrote:

> > > There is no ecological problem with fish
> > > eating per se, just killing fish faster than they can
> > > reproduce. There are responsible fisheries that
> > > moniter their impact on the marine environment.

> > 'What was natural in the coastal oceans?
> > Jeremy B. C. Jackson*
> > Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California
> > at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093; and Center for Tropical
> > Paleoecology and Archeology, Smithsonian Tropical Research
> > Institute, Apartado 2072, Balboa, Republic of Panama
> > '(1) No wild Atlantic coastal fishery is sustainable at anything
> > close to present levels of exploitation.

> That is an argument for reducing our consumption, not necessarily
> ceasing it entirely.

Too much damage has already been done.
The marine ecosystem now needs to recover.

> > Coastal marine ecosystems
> > already have been changed beyond recognition because of direct
> > and indirect effects of overfishing. Most fishing is unsustainable
> > because (i) inexorable growth of the human population drives
> > increasing demand,

> Creating more pressure on the land and at sea or leave the
> sea completely alone and create even more pressure on land
> resources.

We can use some sea vegetables. Certain algae provide
EPA and DHA,- the long chain fatty acids found in fish.

> > (ii) development of mechanized fishing
> > technologies severely damages the environment,

> That's why I advocate handlining.

'And the fact is, a large number of small-boats concentrated
into an ecosystem can do as much damage to fish stocks and
marine ecology as a fleet of larger vessels. Too many boats
chasing too few fish always adds up to a race to ecological
disaster and economic ruin.'