Victor Sack

Default Using Porcini Mushrooms

Tigsnona > wrote:

> I am addicted to Porcini mushrooms. I can only get them dried and
> have to soak them for about 4 hours in order to render them able to be
> chopped up.

Mushroom Soup

(quantities are approximate)

10-12 large dried porcini (caps only if possible)
1 onion, whole
1 medium-sized carrot, whole
a handful of dried roots, such as celery, parsley, etc. (they are sold
as Suppengewürz in Germany, if that's any help)
1.8 oz pearl barley (large-sized)
3-4 medium-sized potatoes, cubed
2.5-3.3 quarts water
salt and pepper to taste

Soak porcini in cold water overnight. Chop the mushrooms, put in
a pot with water. Strain the soaking liquid and add it to the soup.
Bring to the boil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and dried roots
and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Add pearl barley and continue to cook
until it's almost ready. Remove onion and carrot from the soup
and discard. Try for seasoning and add any if required. Add the
potatoes and cook until they are ready. Serve with a dollop of sour
cream in each plate.

Victor