Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Trix[_1_] Trix[_1_] is offline

Default Opinions on the "South African Sourdough Culture"

I had to go to a class at 5:15 last night, so after dividing the dough
in thirds...(I would have followed your instuctions but had already
messed the water measurement up; I wasn't sure I had it right) I set
two in the oven to rise while I went out I planned to bake them upon my
return. My (adult) son's dog got into some chocolate just as I was
doing this, so I had to deal with her and decided to just try wrapping
one third and putting it in the fridge and bake it today. As it
happens, I neglected to slit the ones in the oven and attempted before
turning on the oven....mistake...they started to deflate. So, billowy
they were not.

The one finished this afternoon came out fine. I haven't yet cut into
it. I didn't put it in the refrigerator! I am letting it cool at room
temperature. Someone said the other day that the flavor develops after
is cools and one shouldn't cut into it warm...even though it is very
tempting and that has usually been my tendency. I am just curious if
there will be a difference in the two bakings of the same dough. Kind
of an experiment.

I am still working on reducing my starter. I am encouraged that my new
rye starter worked. Want to see the loaf before I cut it?