Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Mr. Baker's Sourdough Starter...

wrote...
> Go ahead and activate the Bahrain. Just keep the two cultures going
> separately. One thing you might want to think about is that salt is
> typically NOT added to a starter. It's used later on down the line when
> you go to make the bread.

Oh, I had assumed a certain amount of salt was necessary, but I used
the same amount that I used for Oregon Trail and it worked great then.
I figured that adding salt helps to select for more salt-tolerant
organisms, so that the additional salt in the dough mixture isn't
such a metabolic shock. Is that a faulty assumption? What I added
was about 67% of the amount of salt per unit of flour in typical
recipes I saw; I add the remaining salt when I mix the dough.