Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller Ranee Mueller is offline

Default Hot tamales!

In article >,
Marcella Peek > wrote:

> Mom is in charge of tamales at our house and it's usually half with
> green chile and pork and half with red chile and pork. Then more chile
> to pour over the top. Mom did do chicken ones once as we had a non-pork
> eating guest; said she was a vegetarian who ate fish and poultry, go
> figure. And as I type this just now I think, crap there was lard in the
> masa. Oh well, about 12 years too late to do anything about it. She
> did eat pork in chinese restaurants because she said you couldn't avoid
> it so at least we weren't the first to contaminate her, but I digress.

My dad tells a story about feeding beef to Hindus once. I couldn't
believe it. Anyway, I can't imagine the tamales being any good without
the lard. This is a dish I'd just not make for my mom, rather than feed
it to her and pretend there was no pork in it. I've made them with pork
and with chicken thighs, always red chile, though. I preferred the
pork. I also used banana leaves for the wrapping, and made one large
tamal at a time, rather than individual ones. Our local Mexican market
sells fresh masa for tamales on Fridays and Saturdays, so those are the
days we make tamal, when we do.

> Back in the day mom also made sweet tamales with pineapple and raisins
> inside for dessert.

This sounds good. Could you describe how to make them/give a recipe?
Thank you.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.