Posted to rec.food.historic
TOliver TOliver is offline

Default WW2 London cuisine question

"Bigbazza" > wrote ...

> "Jack Campin - bogus address" > wrote ...
>> Anybody have any wartime British recipes for whale?
>>
>> ============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk
>> ==============
>> Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
>> 4760
>> <http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870
>> 0554 975
>> stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800
>> 739 557

> A question passes my mind...If you get the recipes..Where will you get you
> 'Whale' meat these days ?...Whaling is banned in most countries now !
> --

Less "banned" but likely not available in your local fish market, a plump
porpoise makes a good stand in.

I've eaten porpoise which in all honesty does not fill the "Well, alligator
and rattlesnake taste like chicken." rule. It tasted pretty much "porpoiy",
something like very fat veal fed on herring....

TMO