Posted to rec.food.cooking
dodis dodis is offline

Default Hot tamales!

Probably won't get enough fat from the meat, plus we keep that fat with
the meat to keep it from being too dry. Yes, we do cook the meat the
day before and use the stock for the masa. The commercial lard (the
stuff in blocks) has been processed/filtered/hydrogenated so much that
there is no flavor left in it (plus trans fats), which is another
reason to render your own or purchase from a mexican meat market that
does. Actually, the local carniceria here in Galveston uses the block
stuff to fry up their pork skins, etc., then sells the lard after they
are done, so it does have the flavor, but we try to go to a larger
local chain mexican market (La Michoacana, Houston, TX) that renders
fresh lard, usually in conjunction with stocking up meat in the
freezer.