Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,misc.rural,alt.food.vegan
dh@. dh@. is offline

Default Challenge: can you do better than the Goos?

On 6 Feb 2006 15:56:11 -0800, "Dave" > wrote:

>dh@. wrote:

>> >But you aren't advocating livestock farming on the grounds that no one
>> >has suggested anything better. You are advocating livestock farming
>> >because it causes some of the animals that get to experience life
>> >to experience being farmed.

>> No. I'm just saying that we need to take it into consideration if
>> we consider whether or not it's cruel to the animals to be raised
>> for food.

>Why is the fact that some of the animals who get to experience
>life in the future will also experience being farmed relevant
>to the question of whether livestock farming is cruel to the animals?

Because we're questioning whether or not it's cruel to animals when
we farm them.

>> Other people want to attach a lot of absurd ideas to it
>> in their attempts to prevent us from giving the animals' lives as
>> much or more consideration than their deaths.

>In as much as a sitaution where more happy animals are in
>existence is a good thing, I agree with the premise. You
>seem very concerned about how many animals experience being
>farmed but much less concerned about how many experience
>life.

As yet we have been given no reason to consider wildlife only, to
be superior to wildlife and livestock both.

>> >I am not arguing for eliminating livestock and I am not attempting
>> >to determine precisely what sort of wild animals the planet should
>> >support in the future.

>> Then there's no reason to consider wildlife unless you can come
>> up with some specific animals you want to promote life for. Some
>> people do deliberately do things to support wildlife,

>And do those people feel they need to know exactly which wildlife
>they are supporting in order to justify their actions?

If they don't perform the proper actions, their actions will not promote
life for the wildlife they want to promote life for. So the answer is yes.

>> and some of
>> those things are done by farmers to support particular wildlife,
>> and some of those farmers are even livestock farmers.
>>
>> >I am merely challenging you to justify your
>> >position that we should continue raising livestock for food just
>> >so that some of the animals who will get to experience life in
>> >the future will also get to experience being farmed.

>> LOL! That's not my position. My position is that we don't need
>> to STOP doing it, unless you/"aras" can explain why no animals
>> should be farmed.

>Then I have no problem with the position you have now retreated to.

That's always been my position.

>> >And sometimes veggie products are better for some animals than
>> >animal products so why present your alternative to veganism is
>> >if you are doing it to benefit animals?

>> The better question is: why do you believe/insist we should avoid
>> considering some aspects, and please make a list of the aspects
>> you feel we should avoid taking into consideration.

>I believe we should only take into consideration aspects that are
>morally
>relevant.

Their lives are morally relevant imo.

>The fact that the animals who exist in a vegan utopia will
>be different animals

It remains a mystery which animals those would be, and why we
should promote life for them over them and livestock both.

>to the animals who exist in the real world is only
>relevant where selective breeding has gone too far and produced animals
>whose welfare is compromized as a consequence.

>> >Why not? They are the same species.

>> >Why not? They are the same species.

>> Because their lives are nothing similar. You can't figure that out?

>How is the quality of life (quantity * quality) better for farmed
>chicken
>or cattle than it is for wild chicken

There are no wild chicken, because they can't survive in the
wild long enough to establish large populations.

>or cattle?

Farmed cattle eat better.