Dimitri

Default Best oil for French Fries?

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >

> > IIRC the tallow was never the prime oil used it was a flavor enhancer to

> the
> > vegetable oil. The practice was in broad use when the stores actually
> > prepared the fries from potatoes right in the store. For years now that
> > practice has been abandoned in favor of a frozen product.

> It just occurred to me that we have been down this road before! I

apologize
> for bringing it up again Dimitri. We shall, once again, have to disagree
> with respect.
>
> Charlie

Charlie see the last paragraph from Australian Broadcast:
http://www.abc.net.au/am/s302914.htm

"This announcement has to be put in some perspective. In 1990 McDonalds in
the USA announced with much fanfare that it would switch to cooking its
fries in vegetable oil, making them acceptable to vegetarians who will not
eat food cooked in beef fat.

The company also made a virtue of the fact that its switch to vegetable oil
was made for nutritional reasons to offer customers a cholesterol-free menu
item.

So, what's the situation in Australia?

Well, McDonalds here would only say that they had never said the oil they
cooked in was completely vegetarian.

Indeed the potato chips we get here is cooked in a mixture of beef tallow
and cotton seed oil. Hence the humble vegetarian potato chip may well be
non-existent."

Dimitri