Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'[_1_] Melba's Jammin'[_1_] is offline

Default Hot tamales!

Woo-hoo! My new best friend Soccorro The Tamale Empress said she'd
bring my tamales to the Y this morning -- something about 8:00 to sign
up for a yoga class. Ugh. I don't usually go until a bit later in the
morning but this morning went to be there at 8:00. She wasn't there.

Came home and found a voice message indicating that she would be there
around 10:00, which is when I usually see her anyway. So I went back, a
couple jars in a bag for her, at 10:00. She gave me a half dozen cooked
tamales! She also brought a little container of salsa verde to
accompany them. Hoo-yah!

I toted them around with me for a few hours as I met a friend for lunch
and improved the local economy somewhat at the Lands' End Inlet store.
We had them for supper. With nothing but a green tossed salad and some
of that salsa verde. They were so freakin' good! Then I saw a recipe
on, I think, sonofsouth.com (I'd done a search for tamale recipes and
this site has nice pictures.) that looks wicked. Something about adding
two CUPS of oil to the masa! Eeeek!!!

Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
effectively for the filling? What else goes on the plate when tamales
are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
*bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and am
curious.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa