Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
rick rick is offline

Default Can we do better?

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dutch wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>> > Why not?

>> Because the concept of being morally required to kill the
>> fewest number of
>> animals possible is a ruse. You don't do it with any other
>> consumer
>> alternative, all you do is ban animal products.
>>

> It's not a ruse. It's something I try to live up to, across the
> board.

====================================
No, you don't. You're proven that with all your inane posts to
usenet. All you have is a spew about meat, and what you think
others are doing.

>> > All right. There are collateral deaths involved in
>> > pasture-ruminant
>> > production as well. Show me some plausible numbers and then
>> > we'll have
>> > a basis for reaching a conclusion. Until then, I'll stick
>> > with my
>> > current best guess.

>> Go ahead and base your life around guesses about made-up moral
>> imperatives.
>> I plan to enjoy my food to the maximum, and my life, and that
>> doesn't
>> include anal-retentive dogmas, it includes prime rib and
>> chicken parmesan.
>>

> Well, I know you don't agree with the moral foundation, but you
> haven't
> provided any arguments against it. The arguments for it are
> presented
> in David DeGrazia's "Taking Animals Seriously". Any time you
> want to
> address what he has to say in there I'll be happy to talk to
> you about
> it.

============================
Yet your being here proves that you have no intentions of 'taking
animals seriously' You spew about meat, and that's it.
Not having read the book, I'll bet that that is all that he
discusses also. Quite typical of the vegan/AR fringe lunacy.
Does he even discuss any aspect of your life outside of meat
production? Overall, i'd say our diets have the least impact on
animals and if you were really serious about animals you'd do far
more than spew about a product that you don't even use anyway.
So far, I've seen nothing to indicate that you do anything else.
You obviously haven't researched any portion of the diet you
consume now.

>> > Well, I've told you my moral principle. Make every
>> > reasonable effort
>> > not to provide financial support for practices that cause or
>> > support
>> > unnecessary harm.

>> You aren't doing that at all, you're prohibiting animal
>> products, that is
>> all.
>>

> You have no basis for saying I'm not doing that.
>
>> > It's up to you to decide whether you think that's a
>> > good principle, and if so, what's involved in following it.

>> It's a vague, meaningless principle and you aren't following
>> it.
>>

> There is some vagueness. It's not meaningless. I would like to
> hear
> your reasons for saying I'm not following it.

==========================
One, you're here on usenet. You have no need to be, you just
like the entertainemnt.
two, all you focus on is what you think others are doing, and
never consider your own bloody footprints.

>> > I think any
>> > serious attempt to follow it would involve a pretty drastic
>> > restriction
>> > of meat consumption, but that's just my opinion.

>> It's not a serious moral principle.
>>

> Ipse dixit.
>
>> > I dare say there'd be
>> > a case for restricting cotton consumption as well, I don't
>> > know much
>> > about that particular issue. You'll note that I haven't been
>> > giving you
>> > any sermons. I'm the one who gets most of the sermons around
>> > here. I
>> > just happen to think that ethical veganism is a defensible
>> > position and
>> > I'm throwing in my two cents' worth about the attacks you're
>> > making on
>> > it.

>> It's defensible morally to restrict the consumption of animal
>> products, but
>> it's not defensible to set up some bogus vague moral principle
>> and pretend
>> that you're following it.
>>

> Well, as I say, I accept the moral principle and I've told you
> where to
> find arguments in its favour. If you want to address those
> that's fine.
> And if you have some serious suggestion to make about how I can
> better
> follow it, I'll be happy to listen to that too. It's a moral
> principle
> that I accept and I'm trying to live up to it. Is that all
> right with
> you?

============================
No, you are not trying. You've proven that because, like all
other usenet vegans, you have focused only on those that you
think are doing something 'bad.' You have taken NO interest in,
or looked into the foods that *you* eat.

>> > I don't agree with you that the movement is focussed on
>> > demonizing
>> > others.

>> I know you don't, no vegan does.
>>

> But you think they're wrong. If you had any reasons to offer
> for
> thinking that they're wrong that would be interesting.

==========================
It's easy. Every vegan here on usenet is here to demonize those
that eat meat. They have taken zero interest discussing the
impacts of the foods *they* eat.

>> > I think the focus is on trying to reduce the harm caused by
>> > the
>> > factory-farming industry.

>> That's the first time I have heard that term in our
>> discussion, meat does
>> not have to come from "factory farms", mine doesn't.
>>

> Great.

==================
Practically all your veggies do though, hypocrite.

>> > I agree the issue of the harm of collateral
>> > deaths should be raised too. Perhaps I will try to make my
>> > friends in
>> > the movement more aware of the issue.

>> They will think you're crazy. Collateral deaths has no legs as
>> an issue
>> within "the movement", it hits too close to home.

>> > I really don't see how you can be confident of that when you
>> > admit that
>> > there are no reliable estimates of the cost of crop
>> > production. Matheny
>> > estimates a vegan diet kills 0.3 wild animals per year.

>> Matheny hasn't done any research, he's a college dropout.
>>

> Still, he does argue for his conclusions. You can address the
> arguments
> if you want to.

==========================
If I argue my conclusions that the sky is pink does that mean
it's so?

>> > Do you have a
>> > corresponding estimate for a diet which includes some game?
>> > Or do you
>> > have an estimate which is better than Matheny's? If not, it
>> > looks like
>> > you haven't got a conclusive argument.

>> You are going to believe whatever "the movement" and it's
>> shills like
>> Matheny tell you to believe. That's your prerogative, but
>> don't come on aaev
>> claiming that it's rational.
>>

> I'm afraid your saying this doesn't persuade me that you've got
> conclusive argument.

=======================
ROTFLMAo This from the thouroughly brainwashed.

>> > Well, I guess that would have to be taken into account as
>> > well. The day
>> > I see some serious research which makes a decent case that
>> > ruminant-pasture-based animal products cause less harm per
>> > serving of
>> > food than mono-culture crops, I'll re-evaluate my position.

>> Thank for illustrating my point. You have drawn a conclusion
>> based on little
>> or no data, and to alter that position you require "serious
>> research".
>>

> Because little or no data is the best we've got at the moment,
> and I
> have to take some position. Other things short of "serious
> research"
> would also suffice for me to re-evaluate my position. But what
> I've
> seen on here so far doesn't cut the mustard.

====================
Of course not, to the brainwashed common sense means nothing. No
rational thinking person could even consider that a tofu meat
substitute would cause less death and suffering to animals than
venison. But then, vegans have a corner on the market of
irrationality. Tell us about the bananas you eat, hypocrite.

>> > Well, I'm doing my best. I just don't see how I can
>> > reasonably be sure
>> > that any particular animal product that I can actually buy
>> > causes less
>> > harm per serving of food than crop production.

>> You can't, just like you can't be sure that rice or bananas or
>> apples cause
>> less harm per serving than salmon, or bread.
>>

> So in trying to minimize the extent to which I financially
> support
> unnecessary harm, I have to make a guess based on the best
> available
> research at the moment, and that's what I've tried to do.

==========================
No, you haven't. You have 'looked' only at meat production and
declared it 'bad.' You have done zero research into the products
you do use.

http://www.abcbirds.org/pesticides/pesticideindex.htm
http://www.pmac.net/summer-rivers.html
http://www.pmac.net/fishkill.htm
http://www.pmac.net/summer-rivers.html
http://www.pmac.net/bird_fish_CA.html
http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Pn36/pn36p3.htm
http://www.wwfcanada.org/satellite/p...eFactSheet.pdf http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?cid=4&id=230 http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg07_Wildl...on/pg7f2b6.htm http://ipm.ncsu.edu/wildlife/small_grains_wildlife.html http://www.hornedlizards.org/hornedlizards/help.html http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/b-5093.html Since your non-animal clothing isn't cruelty-free either, here's a couple to cover some problems with cotton. http://www.panna.org/panna/resources...Cotton.dv.html http://www.sustainablecotton.org/TOUR/ To give you an idea of the sheer number of animals in a field, here's some sites about *just* mice and voles. Note that there can be 100s to 1000s in each acre, not the whole field. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/natres/06507.html http://extension.usu.edu/publica/natrpubs/voles.pdf http://extension.ag.uidaho.edu/district4/MG/voles.html http://www.forages.css.orst.edu/Topi...rate/Mice.html http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publi...les/pb1600.pdf http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=458&q=150643 http://faculty.njcu.edu/fmoran/vol4fieldmouse.htmTo cover your selfish pleasure of using usenet, and maintaining a web page on same, here's are a couple dealing with power and communications. http://www.clearwater.org/news/powerplants.html http://www.towerkill.com/index.html