Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
[email protected] rupertmccallum@yahoo.com is offline

Default Can we do better?

Dutch wrote:
> > wrote

> >> 1. No we don't, there is no such obligation
> >> 2. All animals are sentient

> > False.

> Name one that isn't.

An ant.

> >> 3. Everything you do has an impact and hence carries a collateral cost.
> >> Therefore by eating that second helping, that fruit cocktail, or taking
> >> that
> >> vacation, all unecessary, you kill sentient animals unecessarily.

> > It would be more accurate to say "there is a certain probability that
> > as a result of your action, more sentient animals will be killed
> > unnecessarily."

> That wouldn't be more accurate at all, it is simply a transparent and
> cynical attempt to redefine your position.

Yes it would, and no it isn't.

> You have ZERO knowledge of the
> probability of the relative harms caused by different foods you consume.

True.

> > I believe there is an obligation not to kill sentient animals
> > unnecessarily

> No you don't, you just like to think that you believe that. You can't even
> define "sentient".

Yes, I do. A sentient being is a being that is capable of having
feelings.

> > and also an obligation to make every *reasonable* effort
> > not to provide financial support to institutions or practices that
> > cause or support unnecessary harm.

> You're blowing smoke. You can't define the terms reasonable or unnecessary
> in this context.

I can't give absolutely precise definitions of them, no. However, I
believe removing these qualifications would make the moral principle
false. So I keep them there. Any time someone proposes a moral
principle with better-defined terms that I think has a reasonable
chance of being true, that's great. I'm not blowing smoke, I'm just
stating the moral principles I believe in.