Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Rob[_2_] Rob[_2_] is offline

Default Has anyone tried Lipton tea lately?

I stopped using Lipton tea about 15 years ago. I tried a number of
different brands, both in the same price range and above, and found
without exception that every one of them was superior to Lipton, which
in comparison seemed too astringent and lacking in body.

A couple of months ago, I had to attend a seminar so I had to resort to
buying a cup of tea instead of making my own, and the only choice was
Lipton. I was surprised when it tasted a lot better than I thought it
would. Of course, my expectations were not that high to begin with.

I just returned from grocery shopping and on a whim, bought two boxes
of Lipton tea bags because they were on sale - 2 boxes of 100 tea bags
for $5. I figured that, if nothing else, they could be used to make
iced tea. When I got home, I decided to make a cup, just out of
curiosity. I let it infuse for 5 minutes, and it made a nice, dark
brew - just how I like it. In the past, I seem to remember Lipton
making a very pale liquor. I am sipping on it right now, and I must
say it is surprisingly good with none of the astringency that I
remember from years ago. This is a much smoother, full-bodied tea than
what I grew up with.

Lipton's packaging has changed significantly in recent years, but I had
assumed that the tea itself had stayed the same. Now I am convinced
that they have changed their blend. Probably they were losing market
share and were forced to improve the quality. Either that or my taste
buds have gone to hell altogether -- LOL!!

I definitely would have no qualms about drinking Lipton in the future.
I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this change?