Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler Julia Altshuler is offline

Default Culinary school opinions

TigBits wrote:
My short term goal after graduating would be to apply my
> newly honed skills inan apprentice capacity, or hell -even a busboy in an
> upper class resort setting in Southwest Florida, and see where that leads
> me.

You don't need culinary school to get a job as a busboy. I know you've
said that you've researched this, and I believe you, but there's still
nothing like getting into a professional kitchen and getting your
proverbial feet wet. Part of your research should be working 6 months
in the front of the house as a waiter. Even with little or no
experience you should be able to get a job somewhere waiting tables.
The next part of your research should be working 6 months or more in the
back of the house. This will be harder to get without experience, but
you ought to be able to find something washing dishes or, better yet for
your purposes, prepping. Bakeries sometimes take on apprentices, and
that's good food experience too.

For me, the biggest surprise about the food industry was the people I
was working with. I had the worst time fitting in and working as a team
with people I didn't get along with or feel like friends with.

I don't know anything about the schools you mentioned but would like to
know more. I hope you'll keep the group informed on what you find out
and what you decide.

--Lia