Posted to rec.food.cooking
TigBits TigBits is offline

Default Culinary school opinions

> > Thanks y'all !
> >
> > --
> > TigBits
> > (o)Y(o)

> Before you jump why not investigate the profession. The job can be a LOT

of
> hours.
>
> Lou

Hi-

I have looked into this pretty deeply. I already work 60-75 hours a week now
split between my regular day drafting job, and my moonlighting at home
drawing yet more houses. I've been keeping these hours for the better part
of 10 years now, and it's just getting old. I love food, love preparing
menus, get along well with people, I have a good sense of what a large
kitchen needs to run on a daily basis, and I can work long hours, after all,
I'm still pretty young!

I would welcome input from others who've made the leap from a profession
that they've become burnt out of to one in the culinary field. I'm not
looking to own my own restaurant, or even run a professional kitchen right
out of school. My short term goal after graduating would be to apply my
newly honed skills inan apprentice capacity, or hell -even a busboy in an
upper class resort setting in Southwest Florida, and see where that leads
me.

I am realistic about this change. I know I won't be the next Emeril (thank
God), or even that bad ass mofo Rick Bayless :-), as soon as I get a
diploma. I realize long hours and extreme dedication and hard work are
required to even succeed at a level that will keep me above the poverty
line. I don't want to be the next Food Network star - I just want to make
people happy with my food, run a tight kitchen and hopefully have a little
bit of fun while doing it.

--
TigBits
(o)Y(o)