Wayne Boatwright

Default Key Lime Pie Question

(Roy Basan) wrote in
om:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message
>> Over the years I have looked at dozens of Key Lime Pie recipes which
>> are overwhelmingly similar in ingredients and quantities.
>>
>> All other things (ingredients and quantity) being equal, however, I
>> have seen a range of egg yolks from 2 to 6. What would be the
>> expected difference in the pie based on changing the number of egg
>> yolks? Richness, obviously, but anything else?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Wayne

> If there is a difference in ingredient ratios you will notice that the
> value of egg yolk will vary also.
> The purpose of egg yolk technically is the emulsifying effect of its
> complex mixture of phospholipids and its interaction with the
> proteins in stabilizing the mixture.
> You are right also it will affect the richness of the filling.
> Another reason,is If a certain filling recipe as less egg yolk than
> the rest it will be lighter then but if you compensate that by adding
> cream you are just balancing the equation in the amount of fat that
> will ensure a rich textured pie.
> In many cases those with high amount of egg yolks have a topping of a
> meringue.
> But keep in mind that the permutation of the particular recipe are
> many.
> Suffice to say that every workable recipe that you find were
> formulated that its components are balanced in functionality and
> sensory qualities; and pastry chefs themselves have a different
> interpretation what a good lime pie should be.
> Roy

Thanks, Roy...very thorough! Given that the recipes I was comparing
varied only in the number egg yolks, then I suppose I have preferred the
ones with 5-6 yolks because of the added richness and the firmer set. My
one effort with a 2 yolk pie lead to freezing it and serving it half
frozen in order for it to be firm enough.

Wayne