Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
Glorfindel Glorfindel is offline

Default Irrelevance of racism or lack thereof

Leif Erikson wrote:

<snip>

> "ar" is shot through and through with speciesism, Glorfindel.

Ipse dixit, and false.

>><snip>

>>>telling humans they have a moral obligation not to
>>>eat animals, based on something that is unique to their species, is
>>>inherently and outrageously speciesist.

>>Speciesism is judging animals on the basis of *irrelevant*
>>qualities.

> ipse dixit (and false)

Neither. It is the definition of the term as given by its
originator, and accepted by those who have used it since in
the AR/animal welfare movement.

<snip>

> Your finding that one with the ability to behave as a moral agent
> *must* so behave in pursuit of your agenda is speciesist, Glorfindel.

First, I never said that, and second, even if I had, it would
not be a speciesist comment.

.... refers to animals who are companions (of humans).