Posted to rec.food.cooking
tsr3 tsr3 is offline

Default Best meals to eat before you die

uz051235198 wrote:
> "Tom or Mary" > wrote in message
> I was wondering what would be included in the "100" meals or food I
> > should eat before I die. >

> Hoppin' John (blackeyed peas simmered until thick and velvety with crisped
> bacon bits, onion, diced green and red peppers, a touch of heat, and a
> sprinkle of shredded sharp cheddar on top, served over fluffy white rice)
> and fresh collard greens--cooked to the point that they are still plump, not
> cooked all to hell so that there is no life left in them--simmered with lean
> ham bits, with buttered corn bread and a big glass of tea. (That would be
> iced tea, as hot tea down here is "Hot tea" and iced tea is "tea."
>
> If you have room you may have a square of fresh banana or lemon cake, made
> with real fruit and juices, not extracts. Or maybe some homemade banana
> pudding.

Hoppin John is one of my favorites! To make it extra good, try
chopping tomatos, red (or vadalia) onion and cucumber--mix with a
little balsamic vinegar and olive oil--put this mixture on the hoppin
john. Gives the dish a whole new dimension in taste. (This topping is
also great on collard greens)--r3