Posted to rec.food.historic
J Wexler

Default WW2 London cuisine question

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

> Anybody have any wartime British recipes for whale?

No, but ...

the word was that you could just cook it like beef or mutton. Wartime
recipes tended to be very basic, and the fanciest suggestion would
probably be to mince it up and make a shepherds pie.

However, whale meat was available into the sixties, to my certain
knowledge, and I did buy it (it came in a frozen lump) and enjoy it.
Boarding school diet was pretty dull, and a solid chunk of very lean
meat was a treat. We dusted it with curry powder and pan-fried it.
Delicious. Fishy? Yes, it did taste slightly of fish, but it was far
from the puke-making whiff of boiled whiting that blighted our Friday
mealtimes.

We also believed that whale fat was used in the manufacture of ice
cream, and, with adolescent inconsistency, we found that idea repulsive.

John Wexler