Posted to rec.food.sourdough
HeatherInIpswich

Default Starter experience - Samartha & Dusty

hutchndi wrote:
> That looks yummy. I hope to try rye again soon. I am curious, how did your
> starter get *******ized, and is it better in some way?

By *******ized, I meant that the little beasties inherited with my
powdered Carl's starter a few years back have probably had relations
with the beasties in the organic rye flour, and then generations later,
after marriages with whole wheat and other such clans of microbes, have
formed a starter related to, but probably not performing exactly like,
the original Carl's starter.

I don't bother to keep a clean starter in a sterile environment fed only
the purest of white flours. What fun is that? It raises my bread
probably in much the same way that the Carl's starter does.

Have fun,

Heather