Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Randall Nortman

Default Starter experience - Samartha & Dusty

On 2006-01-22, HeatherInIpswich > wrote:
> Hi Samartha and Dusty;
>
> Thank you for your offers to help. Here is my background.
> I am not after the holey grail of white sourdough aka San Francisco
> style. I am after the 100% whole grain bread as a holy bread, although I
> haven't made Ezekial bread yet.
>
> I mill my own flour, and have no problem with a whole wheat loaf rising
> to normal earthly heights.
>
> My rye bread is 100% whole rye, made with home milled, unsifted flour.
> Here is my latest small loaf, always with caraway seeds added, made with
> a *******ized form of Carl's starter:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8x3ma

I would say that is only brick-like in size and shape -- in texture it
seems to be quite light by 100% whole rye standards. If you simply
use more dough or smaller pans, it will lose some of the brick-like
appearance.

May I ask how you knead it? By hand or machine, and for how long? Do
you use any rest periods before or during kneading?

--
Randall