Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
S. Chancellor

Default Newbie to green tea, need help

On 2006-01-15 07:35:29 -0800, said:

> OK I'm on a tight budget so I can't exactly get the expensive stuff
> that's usually recommended here. So far I've tried a box of Yogi tea
> "simply green tea" and a box of "Equal Exchange" organic green tea BUT
> both turn brown when brewed. Does that mean it's not really green tea,
> EG I won't get the benefits of green tea from those?
>
> Any decent priced brands you can recommend? I honestly don't care about
> the taste, I'm just drinking it for the health benefits. If it has a
> bitter aftertaste that's OK with me.
> Thank you.

I recently purchased some Pinhead gunpowder and Decaf organic green tea
from Coffee Bean Direct (heh) Their prices are amazing, they're the
cheapest I could find. It makes me wonder if I'm not going to get a
box of dog poop or something. (I haven't received it yet, they ship
from the east coast) They have an excellent BizRate rating, or I
wouldn't have purchased for this price.

http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/index.php?cPath=24

I'm a newbie to tea in general also, I find I don't like the brewing
methods a lot of people mention online and here. I like my green tea
brewed for about 3 minutes so it's very dark and tastes 'green'. Maybe
I'm just strange. None of the green tea I've tried gets astringent or
bitter after this much brewing though, as some claim.

If you're worried about your health make sure you're eating plenty of
Brussels sprouts and broccoli!

-S.