Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
John Wesley

Default two PETA employees charged with 31 felony counts of animal cruelty

In article >, says...
> John Wesley wrote:
>
> > You can't deny the truth!

> This is obviously an unusual episode, and, as the article
> indicates, was contrary to PETA policy, and not
> authorized by PETA.

read this.
especially the 3rd paragraph

PETA Kills Puppies and Kittens
June 21, 2005 - In a development stunning even to those who actively
follow the outrageous exploits of animal rights extremists, two full-
time staff members of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
(PETA), based in Norfolk, Virginia, have been charged with 31 felony
counts of animal cruelty after allegedly killing and disposing of 31
dead animals in a grocery store dumpster late last week. The Animal
Agriculture Alliance (Alliance) today called for a federal investigation
into these actions and greater scrutiny of potentially-related actions.

Authorities in Ahoskie, North Carolina have publicly charged the PETA
employees, Andrew Benjamin Cook and Adria Joy Hinkle, with 31 felony
counts of animal cruelty after the duo allegedly dumped 7 puppies and 11
other pets in a grocery store dumpster. When the authorities searched
their van, registered to PETA, the authorities found another 13 dead
pets, including two kittens which a local veterinarian is quoted as
being ''very adoptable.'' We understand that only hours earlier, Cook
and Hinkle picked up the animals from the local shelter, identifying
themselves as PETA employees, claming they would find the animals ''good
homes.''

This incident may be part of a pattern. According to news reports, the
grocery store manager in indicated that the duo had illicitly used his
dumpster as an impromptu pet cemetery nine times. Other similar reports
come from Greenville, North Carolina where authorities discovered more
than 70 dead animals last month which they believe to be connected to
PETA. Likewise, this spring, authorities found over 150 dead dogs dumped
in trash bags near a riverbank in Scott County, Virginia.

For years PETA has portrayed itself as a champion of animal rights,
attacking American farmers and ranchers who care for their animals. The
Alliance submits PETA's ''champion'' status would be highly misleading
if the organization is actively involved in the destruction of highly
adoptable puppies and kittens.