Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
SlipperySlope

Default If I Had $40 Million

Karen Winter lied:

> SlipperySlope wrote:
>
> Karen Winter lied:
>
>>> there is a movement today to replace "pet owner"
>>> with "companion animal guardian" as the preferred term.

>> It's just more of your empty symbolism

> It certainly is symbolic,

Emptily symbolic - just like your "veganism".

> because, as I said, until the
> *legal* status of animals changes

It isn't going to change.

> there will be no major
> progress. However, language is very important.

Right. It is especially important not to succumb to
the use of inflammatory, ideological language like
"companion animals" in place of the perfectly
serviceable and correct "pets", and fortunately, not
1/100 of one percent of the population does so.

> The words
> we use both reflect and create our mental landscape, and
> the idea that a human companion is a guardian rather than
> an "owner" creates a very different picture in the mind of
> the person who uses the term. I do hope the terminology
> becomes more common; it will reflect a healthy shift in the
> popular mind. Children have guardians, not owners,

Children are not animals. Animals *do* have owners,
and that's just how it is, and it is good.