Posted to rec.food.baking
chembake

Default Flakey pastries

>Hi, how do you get 'em? I've tried butter; lots of oil to no avail. I want
>to get something like the kfc turnover crust, and malaysian curry puff type

..>crust

If you're thinking of Oriental layered pastries common In China,
Taiwan and the surrounding Asian countries

Here is a commonly used method...that I had done some twenty years
back..

They first prepare a dough of medium gluten flour, salt, water and some
add little bit of yeast ....and fat( usually pork lard or sometimes
vegetable oil).

....They combine pork lard with flour and make a paste like roll in fat
..
This is then spread on the sheet of a prepared dough evenly. rolled
into an oblong shape. about 2-mm thick
Then dough is then rolled to form cylinder, (pulling and pushing to
make a tight roll) . then coiled into a spiral and allowed to rest .
The rest of the dough and paste is processed similarly.
That is done for the reason to create layers or lamination.....
That when cut vertically with a knife you will see a spiral of
alternating layes of fat paste and dough..
That layered dough is then cut to a disk about 2-5 cm depending on
the thickness of the pastry cylinder or the size of the expected
pastry case.

The filling is then placed in the center and the edges are wet with
egg and then pressed to seal.
it can be crimped decoratively like scallop designs etc.
It can be fried or baked ......the latter is usually brushed with egg
before being loaded into the oven.