Posted to rec.food.baking
Dave Bell

Default Flakey pastries

Vox Humana wrote:
> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
>
>>On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:15:40 -0500
>>"reqluq" > wrote:
>>

>>>Very informative though I doubt a malaysian in he countryside is gonna
>>>take so much time to put in the fridge take out and wait half hour to an
>>>hour etc. There must be an easier/simpler way

>> Yes, they probably just laminate as best they can and toss it around the
>>wok in some hot oil.
>>
>> Are you trying to duplicate an item that you ate on the malaysian
>>countryside, possibly supplied by someone who doesn't have access to a
>>pastry chef's favorite tools?
>>
>> Every cook does the best they can with the resources that are available.
>>You can get a far superior product if you work with refrigeration as
>>described by Vox, but you don't *have to do that to get a fried pastry
>>that
>>is flaky.
>>
>> There are elements of technique for laminating without the benefit of
>>refrigeration - for example you can start with a relatively dry dough but
>>let it hydrate for a half an hour or more before working it, and then
>>dusting lightly with flour before each fold. But the results aren't as
>>good
>>as going all-out with an actively cooled stone slab and resting in the
>>sub-zero between steps.

> The instructions at the link say that you can use refrigerated puff pastry
> dough from the supermarket. The instructions for the dough at the link
> wouldn't even make a decent pie pastry let alone something that resemples
> puff pastry. There is nothing wrong with that except it seems very strange
> that these two very different produts would be equated. Julia Child has
> instructions for "blizt" puff pastry. It is made with large chunks of
> butter and the dough gets a few turns, but is not refrigerated. I have made
> this for the top of pot pies and for a quick base for a rustic tart. I
> think it would be a good alternative to the recipe at the link.

This one isn't attributed to Julia, but sounds like what you were
describing:

Blitz Puff Pastry

* 1 pound bread flour
* 1 pound butter, cut in cubes
* 1 1/4 tsp. salt
* 8 oz. cold water

Mix all ingredients together and pat out somewhat flat. Turn in left and
right side. Roll the pastry out to make somewhat smooth. Fold opposite
sides in and roll again. Cut to desired pastry shape. Fill and bake at
350 degrees until golden brown.

Dave