Posted to rec.food.baking
graham

Default Bread in a Stand mixer

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
. ..

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> When making bread in a stand mixer, is it best to:
>> Put the liquid into the bowl first and add the flour to it ...or...
>> Put the flour into the bowl and add the liquid to it.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> I'm a newbie at making bread, am using a KA mixer to make two loaves (
>> about 3c bread flour to 1.5c WhiteWholeWheat flour ...water, oil,
>> honey, etc. )
>>

> I would suggest that you read the cookbook that came with the mixer.
> There is a section on making bread with several recipe. I use instant
> yeast, so I put the flour in the bowl along with all the other dry
> ingredients. I turn on the mixer and slowly add the liquid until the
> dough has formed to my liking. If I am using a recipe (as opposed to just
> improvising), I use the minimum amount of flour indicated. For instance,
> if the recipe says to use 5 - 6 cup, I use 5 cups. In the event that you
> add too much liquid, you can add flour, a few tablespoons at a time, until
> the dough is just right. Too sticky is better than too dry.

I've found that this method won't work with moister doughs. If you start
with the flour in the bowl and then add the liquid while the mixer turns,
the dough will reach the "clean off the bowl" stage when the dough is too
dry. It is virtually impossible to add water at this stage. It is much
better to start with the liquid in the bowl first and, indeed, this is what
the books with my mixers tell you to do. With the food processor one adds
the liquid to the flour while the machine runs.
Graham