Posted to rec.food.baking
Janet Bostwick

Default Bread in a Stand mixer

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> When making bread in a stand mixer, is it best to:
> Put the liquid into the bowl first and add the flour to it ...or...
> Put the flour into the bowl and add the liquid to it.
>
> Why?
>
> I'm a newbie at making bread, am using a KA mixer to make two loaves (
> about 3c bread flour to 1.5c WhiteWholeWheat flour ...water, oil,
> honey, etc. )
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Patrick

Put the liquids in the bowl first, then add most of the flour. The flour is
the variable. You may need less flour than called for in the recipe simply
because the particular flour you are using may absorb more liquid than the
recipe indicates. This can be caused by using different flour (brand to
brand, time of year, bread flour versus all purpose flour, etc.) If you
dump all the flour in you have no way of controlling the way the dough turns
out. While it is possible to add more liquid to bread dough, it isn't the
easiest thing. It's far easier to add more flour as needed. Come on over
to alt.bread.recipes and ask the same question.
Janet