Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

Default Steam injection -- don't try this at home! [was Who are you...?]

"Randall Nortman" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> The oven is a very cheap, low-end electric GE model, about 25 years
> old. I got the idea from newsgroups -- search for "pressure cooker
> steam injection" on Google groups, in this group plus
> alt.bread.recipes, rec.food.sourdough, and rec.food.equipment (I
> forget where I saw it). The idea is that you boil water on the
> stovetop in a pressure cooker, and direct the steam into the oven via
> heat-resistant tubing of some sort.

My oven rusted and warped from trying to generate steam for baking. I just
tossed a few ice cubes into the oven when I put the dough in. I should have
just preheated a cast iron skillet and put the ice in that. I still think
that the interior would have rusted, but that may have prevented the
warping.