Posted to sci.agriculture,sci.skeptic,alt.food.vegan
David Hare-Scott

Default Coming Soon to a Paddy Near You: Frankenrice !

"Oz" > wrote in message
> David Hare-Scott > writes
> > GM by direct intervention at the gene level may turn out in the long run

> >be good, bad or indiferent but lumping it in with selective breeding over
> >thousands of years is just pointless.

> Why?

Because both the genetic changes and the methods used to create them are
completely different.

> Selective breeding is a lot faster than 'thousands of years'
> particularly if its easy to select.

True, it may be faster than thousands of years. I just picked that figure
as humans have been doing it for that long with food species. It doesn't
make any difference to my point.

> Note that a range of plants (eg ryegrasses in australia) have developed
> resistance naturally in very much less than 1000's of years.

OK and if you do selective breeding with microbes you can get genetic
changes in very short times. But this information doesn't contribute much
to the original question.

David