Posted to rec.food.baking
Randall Nortman

Default Who are you...?

On 2006-01-18, Bob (this one) > wrote:
> Who subscribes to rec.food.baking? Are you a professional? Are you a guy
> who likes to bake on weekends? Are you a mother who needs to bake for a
> family? Hobby? Work? Hate it but have to? Love it but not enough time?
>
> Who are you? What kinds of information are you seeking?

"Serious amateur" cook and baker (except I don't take the "serious"
part too seriously). W.r.t. baking, it is mostly bread, mostly
whole-grain, mostly sourdough, though occasionally I use a little
white flour and/or some yeast. I have my own grain mill and bake with
various grains. I built a steam injection system for my home oven
(which I'm am currently in the process of upgrading by replacing
copper tubing with stainless steel and silicone).

I often bake sweet things as well, mostly for special occasions.
Cakes, pies, cookies, pastries, etc. I'm better at bread, but my
other baked goods are improving.

I'm looking for anything that can help me get that extra 1% in my
results, plus to share what knowledge I have with others. If someday
I become independently wealthy, I may open a bakery/restaurant, but I
would hate to be in that business if I had to depend on it for income.

I just started reading rec.food.baking again recently, though I have
popped my head in here from time to time in the past.

--
Randall