Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Default Quantities of food for groups

Nancy Young wrote:
> "zxcvbob" wrote
>
> > Bring a sandwich and a Thermos of soup along and leave them in the car
> > when it's her turn to cook. A really /good/ sandwich. When the food runs
> > out before you've been served, you can go get yours out of the car. Say
> > (as cheerfully and nonjudgmentally as possible) something like, "I knew
> > you never bring enough food so I packed a lunch." HTH ;-)

> (laugh!) Good one.
>
> Sorry to the OP, I think it's probably a hardcore case of cheapitis,
> I've seen that before. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know of any
> graceful way to get the point across. Perhaps when the Who brings
> the food assignment is made, how much to bring should be mentioned,
> to everyone. This way no one feels pointed out. I hope.

This one is so easy, so pathetically simple that I'm udderly amazed
that none of yoose Einsteins has figgered it out. For more years than
I care to remember my mother and a group of her lady friends played mah
jong one night a week. They'd rotate houses but the same two women saw
to preparing the snacks/food, whatever it was they ate (when it was at
our house us three kids got to fress too, but in a another part of the
house - there was always plenty). How did this happen you ask...
everyone in the group contributed gelt. I don't know if they
contributed by the week, month, whatever, but there was always plenty
fressing gelt and also some set aside for when they occasionally went
out to eat and for once or twice a year for a weekend at some hotel in
the borscht belt. Those who knew about preparing food did the food
thingie.

There was never any arguing over who brought what food... there were
arguments for sure but not about the food.

Decide on a sufficient amount and everyone contribute equally. What's
so difficult?

Sheldon