Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quantities of food for groups

I have a question for ya'll. My husband and I get together with a
group of friends every week to play games and hang out, and we all take
turn making dinner. Several of us in the group like to cook and enjoy
trying out new recipes, but some just bring sandwich meat and bread or
pizza or something easy like that. It happens occaisionally (and most
often when one particular group member is in charge of dinner), that we
run out of food. I was wondering if anyone has any good websites I
could forward to the group that give estimates of how much to buy/cook
of various things (e.g. "x pieces of chicken" or "y lbs meat" per
person)? .

What got us thinking is recently, the member in question picked up
fried chicken and sides for dinner. No big deal, except that there are
7 adults (4 men, 3 women--1 man was absent so total of 6 for the
night), and she got 12 pieces of chicken and two tiny sides (one might
have fed 2 people and the other maybe 4) plus a loaf of bakery bread.
There might have been 2 chicken breasts in the batch, and the rest was
legs, wings, and maybe a thigh. Several of us basically had bread for
dinner that night. She actually asked as we were all leaving if there
were any leftovers!

I don't usually have trouble, since I grew up in with 4 siblings, so
cooking for a group is easier than cooking for 2. But others just
don't know portion sizes (or they think "serves 4-6" means they can
feed 7 adults??). I found a couple of websites that talk about feeding
crowds, but they're talking 20-50 people, not 7-8.

Any help or pointers that I could pass on would be great! My challenge
will be to find a way to bring it up without embarrassing anyone....